Monday, April 11, 2005

I think that androids DO dream of electric sheep, but that's just me.

The war has been over for a while, but we're all still paranoid. Society as it used to be is completely gone, but we're slowly rebuilding. And then we start getting buzzed again. The alien ships circle our compound lazily, high above us, almost impossible to see. The two new guys climb up to the top and start firing the missiles, taking six or seven rapid fire shots, connecting enough that there is only a couple ships left. As usual, they don't even try to dodge our shots, just continue flying in their patterns. They circle around and come back. This time only one of six shots connects. The second ship actually seems to move to avoid being hit, though it is hard to tell. The remaining missiles will fall to the ground somewhere. "We can't worry about that," someone says dispassionately. "That's just a price we have to pay." But I am saddened. What if they hit another compound like ours?
And then the new guys make a discovery. A previously unnoticed button on the missile launchers - a homing device. The steady tone indicates a lock on the remaining ship. One shot, one kill. We're safe for now.
A couple government men show up, checking for whatever it is that they check for. They ask a couple questions and seemed satisfied with our answers. They walk away and I quickly follow. As they reach the hallway end and open the door, I ask if I can join them as they check out the rest of the compound. They, of course, say no, but I argue with them, and continue walking with them as they go outside.
Outside, I notice a large box. My younger sister has clambered on top and is opening the crate. It is one of our bomb boxes, as we call them. Noticing the government boys, she calls them over. "These aren't bombs," she says, almost accusingly. It's the government's job to supply us with the bombs we need to fight the alien menace.
The g-men gasp quietly. One of them reaches into the box and says "This is an old trivet." A trivet is a weapon no longer used, one covered with sharp spikes that fly out as deadly shrapnel when it explodes.
Suddenly "It's armed!" from someone, and then the world explodes into motion. A group of children that had been playing nearby is bowled over by one g-man, and I'm flung behind a metal barrier by the other.
"Johnson did something I never expected. He gave his life protecting those kids. None of them were hurt. My brother also survived, though Carl, the other agent, was cut up pretty bad. But this God awful war had found itself two more victims."
I don't know how I heard those words, but they were the last thing I heard Suzie say. Between the explosion the the spikes, there was nothing of her left. I came to a few minutes later and rose to my feet. There were people standing around, looking sad, but resigned. This had happened too often, someone dying. But it's different this time. My sister is dead! I screamed wordlessly and threw a broken knife at the pockmarked wall where Suzie had met her end.
I've been numb for a while now. It hurts so much. But today I saw a baby, just old enough to make faces and smile. There is a future possible. Can I find it?

That was a dream that I had this morning. Even now, some 12 hours later, I'm still feeling the emotional impact of the events that occurred completely in my mind. It felt so real and I was so emotionally wrapped up in what was going on. I really was in a future that had been ravaged by an alien war, and my sister really did meet her end at the hands of a deadly weapon. It does not happen all the time, but often enough I am completely overwhelmed by a dream I have. Sometimes I am affected for a couple days in a row. The feeling of what happens in the dream completely saturates myself, and it takes a couple days to throw that off.

Many people have different opinions about what dreams are. I think that sometimes God can really speak to a person through their dreams. And other times dreams are merely an amusing release of the subconscious. I really do believe that, for myself anyway, that some of my dreams are simply entertainment and nothing more. The really abstract ones that seem to be an amalgamation of every action movie I've ever seen are particularly amusing. But then I have the dreams like last night, which are entertaining, but are set apart by the emotional aspect. I don't really know what to make of those. It's not always sorrow. Sometimes I wake up angry enough to beat a Wookie at holographic chess (ooh, a geeky reference yet again). Other times in a sense of pleasure and accomplishment. Pretty much any emotion can be in there, it just depends on the dream. But for whatever reason, I'm completely affected by this emotion, it is something that sticks with me for a while, until the memory fades over time. This time, however, I wrote it down. I don't want to forget this emotion. I want to affect other people in this same way. Maybe these dreams are a key to that.

3 Comments:

At 12:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ever thought of becoming a screenwrighter?

 
At 2:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read stuff like "All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" and other stuff by Robert Fulghum, but I think this is much better.
You may want to write a book someday. I know I do...

 
At 2:59 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

how odd, a day after I read this posting, I had a dream that I was sleeping on the street 'cuz the bed was broken...
and some old ladys walked by and were looking in their purses for some money to give me (although I knew I didn't need it, I waited to see what they would do) but then I woke up in my real bed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home