Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Worst ever

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that Dark Knight was rated the number one movie at www.imdb.com (it still is, incidently). There is a list of the top 250 movies, based on viewer ratings on the site. Today, I noticed that they also have a list of the bottom 100, which would be the worst rated movies. I looked at the list and noticed something - the vast majority of the movies are from the last twenty years. In fact, there are only 12 movies that were made before 1990. On the top 250 list, there are 40 movies in the top 100 from after 1990.
This makes me wonder why. Are movies just getting that bad? Are there just more movies being made so the potential for bad is increasing? Actually, that's not a bad theory. I think it is partly a combination of the two. I do believe that there are too many movies made these days that are depressingly bad. Like in any other venue, when money becomes the sole driving force behind something, then it quickly loses quality in the interest of quantity. Instead of raising the effort to an art form, most movies seem to go for the lowest common denominator, and it is the lowest for a reason.
Ah, maybe I'm just too critical, but I am finding most of the main stream movies these days to be sadly simple and uninteresting, and even the ones that are hailed as amazing and fresh are not that interesting. I'm thinking specifically of Juno and Knocked Up, kind of. Those sorts of movies. I haven't actually seen either of the films, so maybe I would like them, I don't know. They seem that they fall in to a certain mood and style of film that is being produced lately that is not appealing to me.
Is it so bad to want quality without having to resort to overly emotional independent films? Am I seeking contradictory things here? I don't know, I just don't know.
Oh, the #1 worst movie is called Kis Vuk, a Hungarian animated movie which I have never heard of. It came out this year some time, though.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

go see juno cuz it is awsome!



INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup milk
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:


Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note


DIRECTIONS
In a large skillet, heat oil. When hot add chicken and saute 4 to 5 minutes until about halfway cooked. Add mushrooms and continue to saute until chicken is lightly browned and cooked through (juices run clear). Stir in the milk, soup, mushrooms, pimentos, onion powder and pepper. Bring all to a boil. Cover skillet and reduce heat. Let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir together and serve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home