Monday, December 19, 2005

Vacation

I have not worked for ten straight days now, and I have at least another two weeks. Wow, that's longer than I thought. It is crazy that I actually seem to have a vacation, at least it seems crazy to me. I've never had a job where I've got time off before. It's kind of nice, actually.
And the best part is that it is over Christmas. I'm heading home tomorrow (Tuesday) for Christmas, get to see my family. I always like going back home and visiting. Unlike many people, I don't actually dislike Saskatchewan. It's not a perfect province, but it has its charms, not least of which being how relaxed everything is. The whole pace of life is slower and more easy-going, unlike here in Calgary. In some ways I miss that. Of course, I am not terribly affected because I'm pretty good at not getting too carried away with being busy and always on the go. Even when life around me is fast paced and crazy, I'm still calm and relaxed, just kinda chillin'. Part of my charm I guess.
I like Christmas. It's kind of a nice counterbalance to the days being so short. People just seem a bit more livlier this time of year, a bit more relaxed and cheery. Not everyone, obviously, but more than usual. Smiles seem to come just a bit quicker, laughter just a bit more prevalent. It's nice to see, even if it's just for a little while, people looking at making others happy ahead of themselves. I'm not speaking of gift-giving, though that certainly is part of it. But it seems that people tend to be a bit more helpful, a bit more generous, a bit more concerned for others. Frankly, I think that the whole gift-giving thing needs to be re-thought by most people, especially on the receiving end. My philosophy is to not expect anything, and to not worry about it. I like receiving presents, but as soon as that becomes a major concern for me, then I feel like I am completely undermining any value in the gifts I have given. If I give only to expect return, then I have not really given gifts as much as I have sold them. However, if I give a gift and don't expect anything in return, then if I don't get anything, I won't be disappointed. Also, it seems like many people just have too much pressures placed on them, either by themselves or by others, to make sure everyone has a gift and that it's the perfect gift and on and on and on. It turns into an obligation. I think if you giving a gift out of obligation, then it's not much of a gift. Gifts should be because you want to, not because you have to. God didn't have to give us Jesus. He just wanted to because that's how much he loved us. Frankly, that's the best example of gift-giving I can think of.
Merry Christmas.
Wait, that's not right. Might offend someone. Um, merry Sparkle Season. Yes. That will do.

3 Comments:

At 6:28 a.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

did you mean to make 'sparkle season' a link?

 
At 9:02 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

he askes a good question!
AND HE WANTS AN ANSOUR!!

 
At 10:42 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

yes i meant to

 

Post a Comment

<< Home