Tuesday, March 14, 2006

From the bullpen

And now, from the files of getting to know me:

Something I've noticed about myself lately is that I seem to be a defender. And before you ask, no, that doesn't mean that I am Nighthawk (wow, true believer. A marvellous No-prize to the first person that can explain that obscure comic trivia to me). What it does mean is that I tend to want to defend pretty much anyone I feel is getting attacked. And when I say anyone, I do mean anyone. I don't even have to agree with that person to want to defend them. And it has to be an attack. I won't defend someone just because. Heck, the attack doesn't even have to that severe, it could be classified as more of a criticism. But if I here even that, in my head I am protesting and defending the person's honour, or just arguing against the criticism.
For example, the other night I was with some people and the subject turned briefly to evolution, and someone said "I don't see how you could believe in evolution," and then explained why (something about the book "Case for a Creator", and just the fact that he doesn't believe in it). I didn't say anything, but inwardly I was irritated at all of them because there are many reasons to believe in evolution, even if you don't agree with them. The funny thing is, I fall on the creation side of that particular debate. So in essence, I was arguing against what I believed in. Why? Because an attack had been launched and I was there to defend it.
I don't like people being attacked. I never have, and I probably never will. Being overly critical of anyone is not really in my nature (but if you push me, watch out...), and I just rebel against it when I hear other people doing it. I think it's a desire in me to try and protect everyone from hurt.
Well, there's something about me you may not have known. What will you do with this information? Probably nothing. Not much to do with it. But hey, just think of it as fulfilling your 'learn something new every day' quotient. Go now and be mindless.
Excelsior!

8 Comments:

At 12:00 a.m., Blogger something witty said...

yea, well I think chevy engineres are dumb



BRING IT ON DEFENDER BOY

 
At 12:32 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

I find myself in that boat sometimes, too. Sometimes I think that it's more a case of how people word things than what you actually agree or disagree with. For example, on the evolution thing, I find so many times where people come up with arguments against evolution, or whatever, and it's obvious that they either have no respect for the people who hold that view, or that they don't understand what they are arguing. I find myself wanting to jump in and correct them, or defend evolutionists even though I disagree with evolution. Sometimes it's the attitude or information you want to argue with, not necessarily the conclusion.
That's my thoughts.

 
At 7:38 a.m., Blogger Jesse said...

1) If your Nighthawk I get to be Namor the Sub-Mariner (that’s right, I used his full name!).

2) I don't know if I go through the exact same thing, but I agree with Monty P(ie-in-the-sky) there. I find myself wanting a more 'everyone's got a right to his/her opinion' style argument in recent years. More often then not I'm making sure that everyone's thoughts are heard and at least considered before being outright dismissed (I even do it to Jordan occasionally [to my own demise mind you]). I mean, what’s the point in debating something if your just going to get defensive about it and start attacking them.

Oh! You thought that your outright attacking what they believe was going to make the other person suddenly realize that they were wrong all along and you were right? How is that anyway to talk to someone!

Now, that being said, I do believe that there are somethings that do need to be passionately debated, and there is a time and a place (and rules, ie. courtesy) for that, but this is getting long enough.

 
At 10:27 a.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

congrats tasty chicken - Nighthawk was a reference to the super-hero (non) group The Defenders, of which Nighthawk was an ardent member. Also featured were Dr. Strange, Namor the Sub-Mariner, the Hulk and the Silver Surfer (the originators of the group). The No-prize goes to Tasty Chicken!

 
At 10:21 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

Wasn't nighthawk the super hero that the original Robin from Batman went on to become after leaving batman to fight crime on his own?

If I am right, while he may have been part of the aforementioned group, that is who he is and where he came from.

 
At 10:22 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

I want the no-prize too!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 1:14 a.m., Blogger Jesse said...

As far as I know Nighthawk is based after the character of Batman, but is in the Marvel universe, unless I'm compleatly off my rocker (which has been known to happen)

 
At 7:32 a.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

the first Robin was named Nightwing when he went solo. No no-prize for papa scott!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home