Saturday, February 25, 2006

We're walking that line

All right, Walk the Line. It's been a couple days since I've seen it, and I think it has properly penetrated. This movie is an amazing film. Admitedly, I do not know a great deal about the story of Johnny Cash's life, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the film in portraying real life events. That being said, the movie definitely captured the image and the feel of the man perfectly. Joaquin Phoenix made me believe that I was watching a biography, not a fictionalized movie. It wasn't just the singing that did it. It was how he carried himself, how he said what he had to say, the looks on his face, everything. It was just perfect.
Like I said, I didn't really know much about the story of Johnny Cash beforehand, but what I saw broke my heart at times. He had so much talent and he nearly lost it all. I felt sorry for his first wife and his daughters, how they were treated. The pressure on Johnny was so huge, it was sad to see him buckling and breaking. And then, in the end when he finally convinces June Carter to marry him, I was so happy that it worked out.
Oddly enough, the happy ending almost depressed me in some ways. I don't know if I'll be able to explain this, but I'll give it a shot. There had been so much trouble and strife in his life, so many lows, so much sorrow. But somehow, the love of June Carter saw him through the dark times, and pulled him to new heights. That was cheesy. The movie ends with them getting engaged on stage. I think it was a combination of things that had me feeling, not sad, but vaguely morose. Knowing that both Johnny and June had died a couple years ago was sad, almost like the happy ending that was here wasn't so happy after all. But, on the other hand, the fact that they died while still married showed that there was a happy ending after all. I was right. I can't explain why it affected me like it did. Just suffice it to say that I left the movie with a mixed set of bittersweet emotions running through me. Probably there are things in my own life that were spoken to by this movie. But really, it was a good movie, an amazing movie. If you are a Johnny Cash fan, you really need to see this.
As for the singing, well, Joaquin Phoenix could release an album (besides the Walk the Line soundtrack), and I would probably buy it. And Reese Witherspoon has an extremely lovely voice. I won't say I'd buy her album because I know that there is no chance of her releasing one (she said so a few times in different interviews). Frankly, they both rocked!
And I went down to that burning ring of fire...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home