Saturday, October 06, 2007

I'm okay, don't worry

As the man leapt out of his car I cringed, anticipating his angry beratement. And sure enough he began to yell with a healthy vigour, in German. I couldn't blame him, I had just ran into him with my van. I wish this was the start of a book, but it's actually true. I pulled in to park at my dorm and I decided I needed to straighten out, so I started to back up. Unfortunately, the parking spot backs directly onto the street and I didn't look as carefully as I should have, and by the time I heard his horn it was too late. Luckily I only hit the trailer he was towing and there were no injuries, but it was embarassing. It did not help matters that he spoke only German, and I have not learned enough yet to talk to people yet. We had to call someone at the school who actually spoke German, and then we called the school's insurance company which also speaks German and they managed to calm him down. He seemed to be properly satisfied that he would be taken care of and left, if not happy, then at least content. But it goes to show that life here is always full of some sort of excitement.
Right now our dorm is almost completely empty. All of our Seniors (grade 12) are gone to Rome for a week, and the Juniors (grade 11) are at Normandy for the weekend, and the tennis team is gone for the day, so out of 33 students, we have 12 left. Of course, last night the sophomores had their annual sophomore party, so there were forty students around, eating chips and watching Titanic and just hanging out, but the other dorms each sent an RA and so it wasn't a problem. It was actually fun. And today, as a treat, we are taking the remaining students out to McDonald's for supper. Personally I don't view that as a treat, but the guys seem happy, so I suppose that is what counts.
I do apologise for not updating this more often, I will try to at least update once a week, and I'll see if I can get some pictures now and then. I do not yet have a digital camera of my own, so that part is a bit more complex.
Please pray for energy, as this job can be very draining sometimes and at the end of the week I don't always have the enthusiasm to deal with the guys like I need to.

5 Comments:

At 10:56 p.m., Blogger Candace said...

Hey there! It sounds to me like you have your hands full. I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job and that these kids have someone awesome to look up to. You'll make it! Patience and endurance is something I've been having to learn more about lately as a parent. Especially since my youngest is now old enough to fight with his sister and irritate her. You are definitely in my prayers.

 
At 2:34 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

did you say that you were going to eat at micdics?
aaaaah how the mighty have fallen

 
At 9:09 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

remember the time i named your blog?

 
At 12:54 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

i didn't eat there, I just sat in the restaurant with the guys and then made something else when I got home!

 
At 6:02 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

Darrell,
Great to hear from you-you really ought to update more often. I miss hearing from you, I used to be able to count on your blog for reading enjoyment during my boring classes ;)
Praying for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home