Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I need no title!

The young girl's scream tore through the train station. It was in German, but a crying child is pretty universal. We looked over to see a four year old girl standing on the platform, looking up at where her helium balloon was floating to the top of the arched ceiling that covered the middle of the platform. The string hung down tantilizingly close, but try as he might, the father could not quite lift the girl high enough to grab the balloon.
I looked around and realised that I was the tallest person standing at the station. I went over and tried to lift the girl with her father, but she was distracted by the strange man (me) coming over and couldn't reach. We let her down as the train had already pulled up and we all had to get on for the ride back home. "How much time before the train leaves?" I heard one of my fellow passengers ask. "A couple of minutes," came the reply. I scarcely paid attention. The balloon was at the highest point of the arch, the string maybe ten to fifteen feet off of the ground. There were pillars every few feet holding up the ceiling - round pillars with rings set at irregular intervals, rings that didn't even reach very high. But they looked high enough. I reached up and started climbing, quickly reaching the height I needed. Standing six feet above the ground I jumped towards the middle of the platform, reaching for that string.
I missed.
Time was running short, but I knew I had a chance yet. My line had been off, but I had the height and distance, I was sure. Byron came over, ready to lift me up on his shoulders, but before he was ready I clambered up the pole again. I lined myself up and with a burst of energy I leapt clear, willing my fingers to grasp the string. I landed, bending my knees, touching the ground. In my hand - one blue balloon.

This is a true story, written here for posterity's sake. The little girl was quite happy to have her balloon back, and quite entertained. She was an adorable little girl. The father was grateful, and I think a little amused as well. We had been speaking English amongst ourselves, so I'm sure he knew we were foreigners, but he managed a 'Thank you' in English, and I realised I don't know how to say 'You're welcome' in German, so I said it in English. It was fun getting to be the hero. There was spontaneous clapping from other train passengers when I grabbed the balloon. I've never been spontaneously clapped at before. Just one more new experience for my German days.

Next up I will be taking you through a typical day in the dorms. Stay tuned!

4 Comments:

At 9:18 p.m., Blogger nachtwache said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, I'll remain anonymous; I said 'bravo'! You're welcome would be "Bitte, gern geschehen", or just "Bitte", same word for 'please'.

 
At 7:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r spidey man

 
At 10:56 a.m., Blogger Monty P said...

Yeah. Now you just need a cool costume, some webbing - you're ready to go!

It's kind of fun to be the centre of attention for something good, isn't it? Hope you have many more rewarding experiences like that while you're there! Remember, you can't save every balloon, but you can save that one....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home