Monday, July 16, 2007

Love in Fraggle Rock.

As you may know, I am a huge fan of Fraggle Rock. Most children shows just aren't done as well now, and frankly they weren't done as well back then either. Honestly, I think that it is probably the best children's show ever made. It is for slightly older kids who are 'too old' for Sesame Street, the 5-10 year olds I guess. I have 'too old' in brackets because you are never too old for Cookie Monster or Super Grover. But I have discussed my thoughts on the show before, I don't need to go over that again. I will someday, but not today.
I'm watching some episodes right now and something occurred to me: I have always thought about the Fraggles' love lives. The show is mostly focussed on Wembley, Boober, Red, Mokey and Gobo. Wembley, Boober, and Gobo are guys and Red and Mokey are girls.
Red is a brash woman, very loud and brazen, a sporty sort of chica, willing to do whatever anyone else can. She is very straightforward.
Gobo is the leader, a brave and honest fraggle. He is very practical, making sure everyone is doing what they need to do. He tends to be a bit almost selfish at times, thinking that what he likes is what everyone should like, and he is a bit hard on Wembley sometimes. Of course, Wembley is "a wimp" (his own words) so he brings it on himself. But mostly Gobo is a good friend, willing to spend time helping others.
Mokey is an airhead, a hippie. She is very 'new agey', a stereotypical artist type. She is very concerned about others, but a bit unaware of the world around her. She thinks she knows the best for most fraggles, but she is usually just a bit off.
Boober is a depressed little fraggle. He does the laundry and loves it because it is tedious and boring, a case of being miserable to be happy. He is grim, often looking at any situation and finding the worst possibility. He has even composed a funeral dirge for his own inevitible demise, and is suitably irritated when Red and Gobo pick up the tempo, causing them to "lose the maudlin quality!"
Wembley is essentially unable to make decisions. He wants everyone to be happy all the time, so he has trouble saying 'no', but often has trouble saying 'yes' as well because saying yes might mean having to say no to someone else. He is a loyal friend, though, and when he has to he is capable of being brave and making decisions when he has to.
So when I watch the show, I often spend time wondering which fraggles should fall in love. I think I've settled on some pairings.
I think Red should date Boober. They seem to have nothing in common, but they seem to compliment each other. Red can be a bit forward, almost angry about stuff, and Boober is a downer. Together, they are angry and sad. But that is only the outer shell. Both of them are much deeper than that on the inside, and those 'insides' are acutally quite complimentary. My guess is they would probably bicker quite a bit and look like they weren't always happy, but they would be fiercely loyal to each other.
Gobo would probably date Mokey. These two are polar opposites and I imagine they would moderate each other. Gobo would let his artsy side out a bit, and Mokey would become much more practical. She really is a hippie. They seem to be the most mature of the fraggles and together their leadership would bring the fraggles into a new age of propserity.
Wembley is a friend to all. He doesn't have an interest within the group. However, the show took care of that for me. There is an episode where he meets a girl fraggle named Lou. They seem to fall in love, but she never shows up again as far as I know. Their relationship is mostly off camera I guess.
So there you have it - more proof that I think about odd things.

1 Comments:

At 5:09 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Hmm... I don't think it ever occured to me. I really have to watch the show again - yes, it was a great show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home