Friday, June 01, 2007

Ghoti

I love/hate the English language. There are so many things that just don't make sense. Why don't the words 'rough' and 'cough' rhyme? They're spelled the same. Why aren't they spelled 'ruf' and 'cof'? That's how they are pronounced. And how come there is no 'f' sound in the word 'through'? And it doesn't rhyme with either rough or cough. Thorough examination shows that the word thorough doesn't sound like any of the other words even though it is spelled basically the same. How did the letters 'ough' end up having so many different ways of being pronounced. What about the word knife? What is up with the K? Then the word knight is even worse. It should be spelled Nite, though that would make it hard to differntiate from the word night. Here's a fun (to me) one. One hockey team won their hockey game 3-2. Another hockey team won three to two too. There you go, three words that aren't spelled the same but are pronounced the same. How goofy is that. There are many other examples that I could give. But I am tired. It is interesting, you have to admit.
Oh, by the way, the word in the title is another way to spell 'fish'. For those who don't see it, examine the words 'rough', 'women', and 'nation'. For those who still aren't catching it, look at the words again: rou(gh), w(o)men, and na(ti)on. See, ghoti.
G'night!

3 Comments:

At 7:26 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

I originally thought you were learning more German when I saw the title "Ghoti"...I'm pretty sure it means Godmother...made me wonder "why such a random word", but alas your explanation makes it even MORE random. The german language is easier to learn, promise-those englishmen are crazy.

 
At 1:23 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

English is crazy. But, then again, so are we. I guess that's why a BA in English was the right choice.
I'd really like to learn German. Now if only I could get through greek...

anywho, hope you're having fun with the language re-adjustment :)

 
At 6:07 p.m., Blogger Kristine said...

Last I heard, the official count for how many different ways "ough" is pronounced in English is 9... I can't remember all of them currently, but the weirdest one is probably hiccough (which of course is the original way to spell hiccup, and it's pronounced the same)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home