Friday, May 04, 2007

Thwippin' AWESOME!

So Spider-Man 3 kicks some serious butt. It is the best of the three by far. I went into the movie curious about a few things, namely how they were going to fit in three villains and not have it too full. Well, somehow they managed, and in retrospect it seems rather obvious and simple. You see, while there were three villains, it was never about any of them. The story is about Peter Parker and how his life is going. The villains are all just aspects of his life, foils for him to learn against. There is not an overly great amount of time spent getting inside the head of the villains, yet you know their motivation.
As I sat enthralled (I liked the movie, can you tell?), I thought to myself that there was enough material here for two movies. I have thought that about a few other movies in my day and I've usually come away disappointed. But this time they managed to make it work. There is a part of me that wishes they had done the Sandman and Venom as separate movies and spent more time on each one, but I do not think that
Spider-Man 3 suffers for having them both in there along with the Green Goblin (aka Harry Osborn).
There were some sweet fight scenes, including one with a jazzy music track that was pretty neat, not the type of music you usually hear in a fight scene. There were also some moments that made me laugh out loud and a painful moment where Peter acts like a complete donkey around Mary Jane, causing her to be quite upset with him, and clueless Parker has no idea why. Idiot.
And Bruce Campbell shows up again. He was the ring announcer in the first movie and the snooty theatre usher in the second movie. I won't tell you what part he plays in this movie, but it's pretty funny. I think the movie makers missed a gag though. When Peter sees Bruce Campbell's character he should have done a double-take, giving him a quizzical look. Just a small one, nothing over-the-top or obvious, but just a small look. It would have been pretty sweet. But that is not a complaint, just an observation.

Also, Eddie Brock (played awesomely by Topher Grace) ends up in a church at one point, a broken and miserable man, and he starts out a prayer by saying "It's Brock sir..." He calls God sir. That is hilarious. I've never heard anyone refer to God as sir before. Nothing wrong with it, shows proper respect and all. Just a little different.
So go see the movie. I dare you!

2 Comments:

At 12:58 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Yeah, I agree.
It was a good movie. It could have been two, but I also came away with the feeling that they had done it well.

 
At 9:45 a.m., Blogger Kristine said...

In that scene in the church at first I thought Eddie was addressing a priest when he said "sir". I also said to Sharky while we were watching the movie, that any film that adds a gratuitous swing/dance sequence gets bonus points from me, even if as far as dance sequences go it wasn't great, but I applaud the effort. Also, I love the link, that's the first thing I ever heard from Michael Buble, back when he was still a small-time singer from Vancouver.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home