Saturday, August 09, 2008

I've had better...days, that is

As you probably know, I have been searching for work since I returned home, but it has been an uphill battle. Well last Tuesday things changed. I called a painting contractor and he said he had work for me. Great I thought to myself. Now I can work again. So the next morning I go to the address he indicated (1221 Kensington Road) and wait for more than a half hour before returning home because he never showed. I called him and he said that he was on site at a house (I had been waiting at a business) waiting for me to arrive. I asked for the address, and he said 1221 Kingston Road, but it was hard to understand him how he said it. It sounded like there were three syllables every time he said it. I asked him to spell it because I wanted to make sure I got it absolutely right. He said 'K-I...I don't really know. It's just off twelfth." So was the street I had just been waiting at. So I looked it up and found a Kingston Street, just off of twelfth.
So I go to hop a bus that, according to the schedule was supposed to arrive at the stop in ten minutes. I waited at least a half our. The bus finally comes and I take it to the transfer point. I get off the bus as it is going south, and I need to go north, but that is where the transfer point is, so that is okay. I look around, but I cannot see another bus stop anywhere, and it is not like I can just walk across the street to look because it is on Crowchild Street (for those who don't know Calgary, Crowchild is a major throughfare that has no lights for most sections, including where I was). So I wait, and my new bus comes by, also going south, so I figure that it will go to the next turn off and turn around to go back north. It doesn't. I figure that it has to be nearing the end of the route, so I wait a bit longer, hoping it will soon turn around. It doesn't. I finally talk to the bus driver and he lets me know that this bus goes for a long way before going back north, so I get off and wait at a nearby busstop for a northbound bus, which comes in five minutes or so. I finally get off the bus at my stop, and I have to walk ten or fifteen blocks to the street I need. Uphill. (Okay, now I'm just looking for sympathy)
I finally reach Kinstgon Street (not Road, like he had told me), and I find 1207. And then 1203. Okay, going the wrong way. I turn around and find 1302. That's right, no 1221. I walked around for an hour, looking for anyone waiting for me. I had this conversation a few times: "Hi, my name is Darrell. Are you waiting for me?" "..." Shakes head and looks at me strangely. Half of the contractors in Calgary think I am crazy, I am sure. They're not wrong, but they have the wrong reason.
So I gave up because there was nothing I could do anyway. I started walking to get back home, going the opposite direction I had walked before because it was closer to 16th Ave, which I thought would have a bus stop, and was way closer than where I had been dropped off. I figured I would just need a bus to go downtown. Turns out there were no bus stops right along there, so I started walking towards home-ish. I walk for a bit, stopping for a lunch (having dessert as consolation for the rough day), and then continuing on to the C-train station (having to backtrack because I started walking to one that was twice as far away as the one I ended up at).
I live near one end of downtown and one of my roommates works at a restaurant at the other side of downtown. I mention this because I had to go get his keys. Mine were safely locked away inside of our apartment. I got there in the middle of the lunch rush, so I had to wait for almost an hour, waiting for him to have a minute when he could run to the back of the kitchen and get his keys. He finally does get them to me and I go back home, grab my keys, walk back across the downtown core because Adam needs his keys after work, and then walk back home. By the time I am home and everything is all said and done, I have been on the go for about five hours, walking in the hot sun (please pity me) and trying to find someone who does not seem to exist.
The end result was that I decided to give this guy a pass. I figure if he cannot give me the proper address (and I looked, there are no other adresses that are even close) when he is right on site then I am not sure if I want to be working for him. It gave me a seriously bad vibe. I have worked with a boss like that, who was not able to keep organised and the less I say about that the better. It's not a good scene.
So that was my day. So now I have to find another job.
And I did. Starting Monday I am a landscape labourer. I have to call and get the address on Monday morning, so hopefully this goes better than the last one, but this is a reputable company with a name and everything. I'm excited.
* * * * *
On an unrelated note, I was watching a cartoon today where the character was sent back in time to Pearl Harbour seconds before it was bombed in WWII. He realises that he has a chance to stop the bombing and, in his words, stop World War II from ever starting! That makes me wonder what they would call 1939-1941. A slight tiff? Made me shake my head in disbelief.

5 Comments:

At 4:59 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

Yay for reputable companies with names!! Hope this one works out :)

 
At 2:58 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

keep looking for painting because i need you to teach me how to cut in.

 
At 10:21 p.m., Blogger Darrell Sarafinchan said...

what landscaping company are you working for?

 
At 5:34 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

it's called The Landscape Artist. Now I'm calling you, Finchie. You'd better be there.

 
At 2:26 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Wow. Yeah, I remember Calgary Transit. It rarely provides efficient comfort - there was a faint hope that it would improve, I hope it has. Anywho, hope you have good fun at the landscaping job - I know I would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home