Monday, December 15, 2008

Telemarket this

I hate telemarketers.
Okay, that's a bit harsh, I don't actually hate telemarketers - I just hate dealing with them. I have had lousy jobs in my life and I know that these people are just doing their job. That is why I don't like when they call me - I can't just be rude because that is uncalled for, but I really, really, really, really don't care about whatever they are talking about. And it is always the same thing: they read from a prepared script (unless they have read it so many times that they have memorised it, in which case they are just reciting it), and after a bit they say "so Mr. Ulkiristsitensdt...son, can we sign you up for the service (or get your permission to continue or...whatever they're selling)?" The worst part is when I say no, they continue on trying to sell me their product, like I was just testing their resolve and now that they have persevered I will surely purchase their product. But when I say no, what I mean is "no". It's pretty simple. But again, they are doing their job - they are not supposed to accept no as an answer. Drives me crazy it does.
This past week, I had a 1-800 number call me six times in six days (including twice in one day). I finally answered it, figuring it was something like a problem with my credit card or bank problems; you know, something wrong. Instead it was the bank trying to sign me up for some sort of insurance or something.
I have a method for dealing with them, though. I wait for that first break, say no thank you and then hang up immediately. That way they get to have their little say and I don't have to waste too much of my time.
I still feel bad, though.
Now go do
something useful.

3 Comments:

At 7:52 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

try my method.

1. Say hi
2. Tell them you are interested
3. Put the phone down and go about your business
4. Hang the phone back up 10 minutes later.

For added fun, try to sell them something and don't let them get a word in!

 
At 12:49 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

Try to convert them. That would be good for a laugh. Plus it's much more valuable than whatever they're selling.

 
At 12:49 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

Ooh, I just have to make another comment because the word verification is "unbunc" Sounds like you're exposing a fraud or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home