Friday, December 05, 2008

Bah

Today I went to work, yawning the whole way because I never go to bed on time and it was eight in the morning when I got to work (I know, not very early, but when you don't go to sleep until one a.m. or later, then 8 in the morning is early). I sat down and started checking my email to see what I had to do in the four hours I was scheduled. I was only scheduled for four hours because on Saturday I was scheduled for twelve hours. Add that to the eight hours I was scheduled for on Thursday and that is my 24 weekly hours at the church (and then I work 24 more hours at the paint store). The church sometimes schedules me that way so that they aren't giving me over the 24 hours and paying me overtime unnecessarily, which is fine by me because I don't want to work that much anyway.
The first email I check is one from my boss to someone else at the church (I was cc'ed onto it) who was wanting a room set up for a meeting that morning. The email said that we would be unable to set up the room because there were no custodians on site on Friday (today) morning. I was confused, as I was already at work. So I went over to the handy schedule that was hanging on the wall and check, and sure enough I was scheduled to work from noon to 8pm.
Well that just ticked me off. I had a schedule at home and I had checked it and I was supposed to work 8 til noon and have the afternoon off. I was looking forward to the extra time, I had a good supper all planned and was going to relax and take it easy. But suddenly I found myself with four hours with nothing to do, and then I had to come back to work after that. I couldn't believe they would change my hours and not let me know specifically and plus, that meant I was scheduled for nearly thirty hours this week. I drove home feeling quite disgruntled. First thing I did when I got home was check my copy of the schedule, just to reconfirm that it said I was to work 8 to noon, just like it had every other time I had checked it this week.
Have you ever picked up a book that you read in your childhood many times, but have not read in a long time, or maybe watched an episode of an old cartoon that you used to watch when you were seven. Even though you would be hard pressed to come up with anything too specific off the top of your head, the second you read those words or watch that show you recognise everything you see, and you would know if anything was changed. The viewing/reading brings back all sorts of memories of that book/movie.
The second I looked at my schedule, I realised that I had been reading it as noon-8pm every time, but somehow, even when I read it as such, my mind decided that meant I worked from 8am-noon. Why? I have no idea.
I have never been so irritated to not start work until noon in my life.

3 Comments:

At 6:04 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

That stinks. But I had to laugh at the "I've never been so irritated to not start work until noon" line. Did you still get to have a good supper??

 
At 12:33 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

two sandwiches and an orange...the chicken stirfry has been pushed back to sunday. sigh.

 
At 7:18 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

Chicken stirfry, mmm. Beats a week of pizza, that's for sure. Enjoy your stirfry tomorrow! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home