Thursday, August 25, 2005

I need a roommate, and soon.

First off - if you know of anyone who needs a roommate in the Calgary area starting in September, let me know. Or give them my email address and have them contact me. I still need a roommate for the fall. The only qualifications are that it has to be a male, and I would really, really, really prefer a non-smoker. Other than that, I'm not picky. Let me know.
Now, I have two movies to relate. The first one is "The Terminal", starring Tom Hanks. Frankly, I like Mr. Hanks. He seems to be very good at everything he tries, and this is no exception. The character he plays is a genuinely nice guy who just happens to have ended up being unwanted. He handles his situation very well, without whining or crying or anything like that. He simply tries to survive and adapt as best he can. Would that we could all accept setbacks with such dignity.
The second movie is Dawn of the Dead, the 2004 remake, starring Sarah Polly (of "Road to Avonlea" fame). I have to admit, I am rather fond of the ocasional zombie flick, and this one is as good as any I've seen. There are no real scares, but there is some suspense, and I found myself actually liking some of the characters enough to start talking to them ("Don't turn around, somethings gonna bite you" "she's becoming a zombie guys...look look look look look!" "Oh don't you dare die, I like you too much" - actual things I said, out loud, to the movie). There were moments of humour without falling into slapstick, and there wasn't a heavy-handed message thrown awkwardly into the mix. All in all, a movie that is not completely without merit. Plus there's lots of gore and gunshots. I guess that's the guy in me coming out to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home