Sunday, August 07, 2005

I guess the Cutlass is faster

Frankly, I don't know what it is about car races that make them so much darn fun. All the cars do is drive around in a circle, occasionally smacking into each other. It's noisy, dirty and smelly. It makes my bum hurt to sit on those hard benches for hours on end. And yet, I am extremely happy.
In case you hadn't guessed, I recently watched some racing. Today, in fact, I spent about four or five hours at the track, and it was awesome!! There are many different things that appealed to me. They had the super sprint class (or something like that) which were just fast cars with a huge wing on the top and a smaller wing on the front to keep them from flipping over. They were small and bullet shaped, and fast. They each had around 700 horsepower (most cars tend to have 200 or less by comparison), and they were loud. Just the thought of how much power they each had was sweet. When they drove by, I could feel the power being released. Also, they went around the corners (it was an oval track) sideways, like rally cars, only much faster. When they drove by going less than full power, it was almost as though they were living creatures being held back. They may not have been using it, but there was power just barely below the surface, just seething until it was released.
Then there were, well, all of the other cars. None of them quite had the same power, but they were also even more fun. These were all cars (and some trucks) that were the kind you would see driving around the street. They were slightly more beat up, but still the same. A Honda Prelude, a Chevy Cavalier and other such cars. These cars were more prone to crashing, and bumping each other "accidentally", and frankly it just looked like fun. It was neat because some of the cars were in the claimer series, as it was called. That meant that for $420, you could buy one of the cars and come back the next week and race it. That is pretty sweet.
I really don't know what the fascination is racing cars like that. My own family isn't a big car family, but Peter's family is much more so, at least he and his father are (his sisters and mom not as much, though they still appreciate cars more than most). Having spent as much time around them as I have, that really has helped to shape my views of vehicles. There's just something about the way a car can feel alive, and when I see the racing, I feel that better than at other times. And frankly, watching cars go fast and crash into each other is just fun (hence the reason for summer movies).
Who knows, maybe this shows my redneck side. If that's the case, then just scatter car parts on my lawn and call me Billy Bob. Or possibly Peter.
Vrrooooommmm, screeeech!
Bye

1 Comments:

At 4:40 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

if you didn't go with peter then he is now at home crying while reading this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home