Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Grass stains on my shoulder, rib, hip, thigh, calf, knee, ankle, toes, and ear.

Jeff's still a weenie! We have youth in the park every Wednesday over the summer. Basically it's just a chance to hang out with the youth and play some games. There's always a message, but it's short. The rest of the time is games and stuff. Today we were playing football. Jeff had arrived late, as he does because of his work(out) schedule. I was playing quarterback and I noticed that Jeff had wandered over to watch the game. I thought to myself "I wonder if Jeff is going to join in." I then said "hut" (cuz that's what you say when you play football, though I had a few choice words running through my head a few moments later) and started looking for an open receiver. I then thought "Hmm...Jeff is coming up awfully fast. He surprised me, so he's going to let up now cuz the jok...Oooof!" There is a part of my brain that is entirely, well, stupid. I went down like a sack of wet potatoes, and now my shoulder is sore. But I have to admit that he got me good. Weenie.
Yesterday I went and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now, if any of you is unfamiliar with Roald Dahl stories, I highly reccomend that you go out and have a read. They are classified as children's literature, but they are not quite conventional stories. There is a richness of imagination that is simply not visible in many stories, adult or children. The world of Roald Dahl is a wonderful place. He brought us James and the Giant Peach, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Twits, and many many others. Not all have been made into movies, but some have. Most notably was "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in the seventies. Many people view this movie as one of the all time greats, and I have to admit that I like it. The oompa loompa songs are pretty fun. But so horribly kitschy. And I will probably offend people when I say this, it did not come close to matching the slightly left of centre world of Roald Dahl. It was just too seventies. In fact, Roald Dahl hated it so much that he refused to allow them to make a movie of the sequel Charlie and the Glass Elevator.
Now Johnny Depp and Tim Burton have taken on this quirky author, and I have to say that there are few people around that would be as suited for this tale. Tim Burton has such an element of surreality about everything he does that it is almost as though he were made for Roald Dahl. I went into the movie with high expectations and was only slightly disappointed in a couple areas. First, the songs the oompla loompas sing were a bit muddled at times, so that it was hard to understand the lyrics, and the coreography was a bit off somehow. But the songs were still pretty sweet (performed by Danny Elfman, another frequent collaborator with Tim Burton). The other disappointment was that Willy Wonka was almost too childish at times. Almost. I wasn't sure about it at first, but as the story wrapped to a close, I realised what they had done and was much more satisfied with the character. It really was a minor complaint, more of a quirk of my own than anything in the movie itself. And it is no secret that I am practically in love with Johnny Depp. Everything that I have seen the man in has been very impressive. He is able to play a different character every time, unlike some actors. Paul Walker, for example, seems to get roles that require him to look stunned and flex his muscles, and that's it. Or, in the very least, that's how he plays every character. It's getting old. His movies are all kinda sucky. Johnny Depp, on the other hand, can be in a movie that is at best only so-so, and yet his performance is quite impressive. Basically I haven't seen a movie of his that I have regretted seeing.
All of this to say, I really enjoyed "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" immensely. Go check it out, now that I've built your hopes up. Don't watch the Gene Wilder version before you go. Go into it expecting nothing besides an entertaining story, and you will not be unsatisfied. There, I've said all I'm going to say.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

Notice how Jeff only does sneak attacks? He won't give you a chance to kick him in the balls and run away!

 
At 10:15 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

"I am practically in love with Johnny Depp..." Well. Hmmm. I, uh, hmmm. Good luck with that?

 
At 12:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have to use the term "actor" very loosely when talking about paul walker...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home