Monday, November 27, 2006

Driving on a skating rink

Well, the winter weather is upon us, and that brings winter roads, winter ice, and winter bad driving. We all know that things get icy and that when you are driving you have to be a little more cautious, leave a little more room and just be sensible.
However, it seems that there is a neglected area of thought, at least for some people. During the winter, you also have to be a smarter pedestrian. I was driving today and I was going 40km/h at the very most, and likely much slower. I was watching the road, thank goodness, and I saw the girl running up to the crosswalk. She hit the crossing button as she ran by and right onto the street. I barely touched the brakes and all four tires locked up because the road was covered with ice. I layed on my horn and she dashed out of the way, but if she had been going slower or I had been going faster or not watching I likely would have ran her over. There was little that I could do at that point. There were parked cars beside me so I couldn't go around her, my only option was straight forward. Heck, I would have had trouble stopping in the summer.
So my plea to you is before you cross a road, make sure the cars are stopped before you go. Take the time, it could mean your life.
Wow, that was very 'government-sponsored-commercial' of me. Still a good idea though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home