Saturday, November 04, 2006

Cheeeeeeeese

Sometimes a movie will just tickle me pink. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is one such movie. I have seen some of the previous Wallace and Gromit films and found them to be quite amusing and excedingly clever, and the movie is no exception. There are so many background things that just leave me laughing out loud. When Wallace gets stuck in a whole because he is putting on a bit of weight, Gromit walks by a counter that has a jar of some sort of spread (like Peanut Butter) on it, and the jar is labelled "Middle-Aged Spread". The bunnies are very cute and extremely amusing. They are so cheeky. And when the pack of rabbits starts howling I just about died laughing.
That's not the best part, though. What really impresses me the most is the animation. Wallace and Gromit are done in the clay animation, and it boggles my mind what they can do, the feelings and expressions that can be put across, especially on Gromit. Gromit is a dog that doesn't even have a noticeable mouth, so his emotions and acting has to be performed out through eyes and body language only, and they do such an amazing job. One scene in the beginning features our two heroes being woken up, and because Wallace is an enterprising inventor they are woken up by being dumped out of their beds onto chutes that carry them to the garage, putting them in their clothes as they go, sort of like when Adam West slid down the pole to the batcave in the 60s Batcave (he was in civilian clothes at the top and in the Batsuit at the bottom). It is obvious that Gromit finds this process to be slightly tiresome. He is lying in bed and he very slightly rolls his eyes and sighs before being dumped out of bed. Throughout the film you can tell what he is thinking, completely without words or even a mouth. I love it.
Really, the movie is silly, but quite clever. I recommend it to everyone, I think you will enjoy it.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 a.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Yes, it's a great movie. My nephew loved the ending. The very ending where Hutch pops out of the hole and says "Cheeeeeeeese." He kept asking to see the "Cheeese" part. Plus I enjoy that kind of animation. I hope to do some of that myself... I've got some placticine or 'clayform' (as it is called)... all I need is a camera and a few more good ideas.

 
At 9:15 p.m., Blogger Kristine said...

I also think it's a tremendous movie. One part I really like is when Totty sprays Victor with "Pansy Spray" and he starts skipping about yelling "my eyes" in a very effeminate way. Genius.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home