Saturday, January 20, 2007

Weiwd

I have discovered something interesting about myself in the past few years. My fingers are weird in that they spend most of their life absolutely frigid. Even in the warmest of weather it is entirely possible that my fingers are little sasauge shaped bits of ice. It has something with the nerves or something being too close to the surface of my skin or something. I have known about that since I was a kid, it's no surprise. What I have discovered is that they react extremely oddly to cold. Most people's fingers start out warm and slowly lose heat until they are really cold and hard to move. My fingers start out cold and get colder for a while. And then they warm up and are fine for quite some time.
It's not just a perceived thing, like when people get hypothermia and suddenly feel warm even though they are freezing. My fingers (and toes) will be cold enough that they almost hurt and suddenly they will warm right up. I can feel them fully, move them like normal, everything. They aren't cold to the touch, red or discoloured in any way, and even if I don't warm them up specifically for a long time they don't have any damage. They are absolutely fine. It is really quite bizarre. Now, this is only in relatively mild cold. When it is really cold then they turn to blocks of ice and don't warm up, but that's not terribly unusual or surprising.
I just thought I'd share that.
Oh yeah, I also have been accepted as an RA at BFA in Germany starting next August.
Bye

6 Comments:

At 12:33 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

CONGRATS!!

on BA...not on having blocks of ice for fingers, although it is unusual.
But no really, way to go! Do you have to start raising money now?

 
At 10:05 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

I don't have the problem of always having really cold fingers but I do react to cold the same way as you. I start with my fingers getting colder for awhile and then twhen they start to get painful my body seems to adapt and they warm up. My hand will actually radiate heat on really cold days.

PS...I guess it's true that North america just exports it's problems...usaully to Germany!

 
At 1:27 a.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

ouch

 
At 6:48 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

vInteresting (on both, that is)...
but even more is the RA position for BA -
Huzzah!
We'd like to help you out, but I don't think you'll be wanting a couch and chair set to take with you...

 
At 8:01 p.m., Blogger Kristine said...

Yeah for being accepted! But that's not my main comment. I also have weird cold-weather digits. I have squished toes (normally) from wearing shoes that were too small when I was little I suppose. But they are weird because when my feet are cold (and not just freezing cold, could also be cold rain), they will feel like they're curling over each other, but upon closer observation, they are positioned normally, they just feel like they're all mushed on top of one other toe. Perhaps this is more information than you wanted to know about my feet. I'll stop now...

 
At 10:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had one side of my face normal and the other side turn clammy at the same time... exactly half... very strange

 

Post a Comment

<< Home