Saturday, March 10, 2007

If only it didn't taste like evil mixed with wet monkey...

Sometimes I wish I liked coffee. There is an image around coffee that I enjoy. The whole concept of 'going for coffee' for example. It's a time to sit around, chat, get to know each other or hang out with an old buddy. It is a time where hurts can be healed, now relationships forged, and existing bonds strengthened. I realise that you don't have to get coffee when you go for coffee, but it's not called going for Coke or milkshakes. It's 'going for coffee'.
There is also the fact that places are set up for coffee more than they are for tea, which is my choice of warm beverage. At a restaurant, you can get near unlimited refills on coffee. My brother often will have five or six cups over an hour or two. Whereas with tea, you can only get refills of hot water, and the teabag runs out after a couple of cups, especially if you like strong tea. Many places will then charge you for another teabag if you want it. I'm not complaining, I understand how these things work. I'm just...wistful I guess.
It's the same with drinking. I don't want to go out drinking all the time and partying and all that goes with that. Vomitting for any reason is not fun. But there is an image that goes along with drinking, with going to the pub and having a drink with a friend. It's much the same as coffee, though more expensive. But sitting down with a rye and coke or a Bud and just chillin', having a good time, it's an apealing image.
On the other hand, I have NO desire to like mustard or peanut butter. In fact there are days when I wished I was allergic to peanut butter just because people seem to find it hard to believe that I don't like it. Of course, peanut allergies seem to be about the deadliest allergies out there, so I'm okay with having to explain myself. But I do have days.

3 Comments:

At 5:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll like Europe, peanut butter is not well known or used. A Yugoslav coworker went to Costco to buy peanut butter, shortly after arriving in Canada.He'd heard so much about it, from TV I guess, so he thought it was really good. He threw the whole container in the garbage after tasting it.

 
At 12:04 p.m., Blogger Kristine said...

I love peanut butter, and I love coffee, so I'm not with you in that boat. But I also like tea, and I've heard lately that tea popularity is on the rise. I don't know that that will change the problem with only getting the one bag when coffee drinkers get free refills, but at least you're not alone in your frustration (or mid annoyance).

 
At 8:31 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Ahh, tea. I used to like coffee a lot too. Now, it's just another social drink.
As for peanut butter and mustard. I don't especially love either (especially without anything - I'd rather have honey or dijon mustard than plain mustard). As for peanut butter, I used to like it a lot more than I do now. I don't think I'd handle peanut butter and mustard well together. Yuck. Yeah, that's a bit too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home