Thursday, February 19, 2009

Clean Teeth are Important for a Good Breakfast

I was reading a Dear Abby column recently written by a mother who was having trouble convincing her grade nine son that he needed to shower after wrestling practice. Abby's advice was to put rules in place and enforce them (i.e. - no supper is served until you shower), which makes sense to me. What I didn't get was the suggestion that he not be given breakfast until he had brushed his teeth in the morning. Why would you brush your teeth right before you eat?
And this isn't the only place I have encountered this. On TV and movies and in old health class videos and in many different mediums the idea of brushing teeth before breakfast is presented as the norm, and I have never understood that.
Is it just me, or does it not make sense to brush your teeth right before you eat? Whenever I brush my teeth, things taste awful for the next little while, even water. Why would you want to do that right before you eat? Plus, does it makes sense to clean your teeth, and then dirty them again immediately? I just don't get it.

Grasp the Nettle

5 Comments:

At 6:50 a.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

Yes but they don't actually use toothpaste in the pre breakfast brush. Then everyting still tastes god.

therke

 
At 6:51 a.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

God?

God?!!?!?

Perhaps I meant good!

meint

 
At 6:52 a.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

Meint was my verification word, not me screwing up the spelling of another word like normal.

porile

 
At 11:12 a.m., Blogger Jordan said...

I totally agree (not with Scott becasue I have no idea what he's talking about) but with the fact that it's sensless to brush your teeth before breakfast. Jesse used to do this all the time and I never understood it. I always wait until after.

 
At 4:55 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

see, you are skinny so you wouldent wnderstand! if food tasts bad then you eat much less therefor brushing your teeth is a weight loss strategy.
screw off skinny boy!




budge (the leters i need to type)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home