Saturday, March 14, 2009

All the Side Effects, None of the Relief

We have five gallon (20 litre) pails of paint at work, which makes sense because it would be awfully annoying to need twenty gallons of paint if they all had to be single gallon pails. These 'fivers', as we call them, tend to be rather heavy. On Thursday we got our order in and there were ten 'fivers' of our most common paint. In order to ensure that no paint gets too old, we are supposed to rotate the stock to make sure the older paint is used first. To do this required me to move approximately forty pails of paint, half of it in a space that does not allow me to stand up fully. As I finished that job, I stood up and realised that I had tweaked my back.
It was a little sore, but I have tweaked my back like this before, so it was nothing alarming. I was being careful, making sure to lift properly and not be twisting or moving to rapidly. Today (Saturday) at work I felt pretty good. There was a little bit of soreness, but it was more like a half-remembered ache from an old injury than it was actual pain. I get through my entire day and make it to closing time. I do my cash out and am putting the money in the safe, lifting the door (which can't weigh more than five pounds), and as I do that, I suddenly realise that there is shooting pain radiating up and down my back, settling in the lower lumbar region (aka, the small of my back).
Now my back is more sore than it was before, and to top it off, I am discovering how much of a pain it can be to be over six feet tall. I went to wash my hands after using the washroom and briefly considered not bothering because I could reach the taps without bending over, but the water was tantilizingly out of reach, just beyond my outstretched fingertips. However, since not washing your hands after using the washroom is GROSS(!!!!)(!!) I had to crouch down slightly, my knees bent to 150 degrees, maybe even just to 160 - so barely bent at all, but enough that my calf muscles lodged an official protest, threatening to walk off the job. I finished up quickly (but not too quickly, because if you're going to wash your hands, you should do it right)(because not washing your hands after using the washroom is GROSS!!!!!(!!!!)!!!!(!)!!!!!) and then realised I had to take out my contacts. I reached out to pick up my contacts case and found that the countertop was just too low for me to get without bending over. With knees quivering and my calves walking little circuits, carrying signs in protest yet again, I got my contacts out and glasses on.
It's times like this I wish I was four inches shorter. I've taken some Robaxacet (the generic version, with the exact same picture on front (actually, it looks like it's the picture taken one second before the one on the Robaxacet box, like the guy's hands aren't quite in position yet)), and I've noticed the difference. My back still hurts, but now I feel a bit shivery and woozy. Very nice, generic Robaxacet. Way to give me the side effects without helping my symptoms. Thank you very much.
I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of days - take some ibuprofen (which I also had to buy) and ice it to see if it gets better. Hopefully it will.
Also, I noticed that I forgot to update Thunderfunk the Superchicken on whatever day I normally do that. This means I am also going to skip Fools of us All on Tuesday because, to make things somewhat easier on myself, I want to keep them on the same chapter count. So use this time to catch up on what you may have missed.
The moral of the story is: WASH YOUR HANDS. Because if you don't, it's GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

At 8:16 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:54 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

I! Loved! That! Story! Gosh! I! Hope! This! Doesn't! Sound! Too! Gushy!

hable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:08 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

i think this is one of the funner posts you have posted! also, i hate opning a public bathroom door because of the same reason! GROSSSSS

 
At 6:12 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

Yeah, bad backs suck. Been a while since mine really went out, and I'm okay with that. Just the constant, low-grade pain now. Yay.

Hope it gets better soon. By the way, while typing this, I watched Cayden walk toward me. Didn't get all the way before he decided to crawl, but he's definitely getting the hang of it.

 
At 11:22 a.m., Blogger Darrell Sarafinchan said...

I suggest that you go to the pharmacy and get, over the counter, back meds that have codeine. Use it at night only for it will put you out. I have found it to be an amazing solution for back problems. I find lying down to be the worst thing (ie. sleeping) but these meds will totally relax the back. I think it has 8mg of the good stuff with a "tylenol" base.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home