Monday, March 02, 2009

Senseless

There are a few things that I don't understand. Actually, there are many, many, many things that I don't understand. But here are a few.
First, why do banks still have business days? I understand being closed on Sundays and shortened hours on Saturdays. The paint store where I work is like that, as are most businesses. But what I don't get is why the things that aren't done in person still don't happen on a weekend. For instance - I have some payments come out of my account on the first day of the month. On the last day of the month the fees and interest are charged to my accounts and loans. This last weekend, February 28th was a Saturday and March 1st was a Sunday, so those payments and fees and interest did not happen until Monday. My question is why? I don't go in to do any of that, it happens automatically. Computers run the payments and have to be programmed. Why can't they be programmed to take the money out on the last day of the month, regardless of what day of the week it is? There should be no problem with that, right? Does it really matter that it happens on a Sunday? When I transfer some funds online from one account to another, why does the official date of the transfer have to be changed to the next business day? I could understand if someone had to actually do those things manually by punching in the information by hand, but that's not how it works. It's a computer program. It happens automatically. That means someone had to program the computer to take my money on the first of the month, and then they had to program it more to stop it from taking the money if the first of the month happened on a certain day. It would have been easier to program it to take out the money on the first of the month and that is it. No qualifications, just take the money on {month} first and program is done.
Speaking of computers, how have fax machines not become completely obsolete? Computers were supposed to make life almost paperless, but it's not working. We have a fax machine at work that is constantly in use. This is the first time in my life I have had to fax things regularly. How does that make sense. Basically the fax machine scans the document and sends it to the recipient. Why not have a scanner scan the document and email it to the recipient. Same concept, completely possible, and cuts down on paper by a huge amount. At least, until someone decides that the email needs to be printed out. But even then, the faxes that we get and just throw out (recycle) wouldn't have to be printed out at all, so it still saves on paper.
Speaking of faxes and things that don't make sense, I feel like I had a Dilbert-esque moment at work today. We get our orders from Vancouver - the paint and the supplies and everything. It gets packed onto pallets and shipped to our store. That means we always have pallets at the store. We get charged for the pallets we are sent, but when the truck drops off the full pallets, they pick up the empty pallets and we get a credit for the ones we send back. I imagine they do this so that we aren't just tossing away perfectly good pallets. The way we get creditted is by having the driver sign a piece of paper that has the number of pallets he is taking written on it. The paper has three rows - the first row has a spot for the number of pallets, the second row is the driver's name, the third row is the driver's signature. He signs it, we fax it in, head office credits us for the pallets. Easy as pie. Today, we got a fax (seriously, emails would save on paper) saying they had a new procedure to follow that would make life easier for everyone. Now, we have to make a delivery bill for the driver, the kind of bill we make to ship products out of our store. Then we have to to go into our computers and complete a transfer that tells the computer we are transferring our pallets back to the warehouse. We have to fax that transfer, and one other piece of information that I'm not remembering at the moment, to the head office. Basically they took what was two simple steps (get signature, fax paper) into four less easy steps (make bill, make transfer, something I can't remember, fax two papers). How does that make my life easier. Especially considering the fact that the computer system we use at work is a pain in the butt.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing something that makes these sorts of things make sense.

Also, I updated Grasp the Nettle.

2 Comments:

At 9:48 a.m., Blogger Monty P said...

lasiotI hear your pain. I like the scanning and sending by email idea. I know that you can write an email and send it as a fax, so it would make some sense to take the fax and turn it the other way. But unfortunately, for many places that have faxes, that would mean a whole new investment in a new fax machine that can scan and send it via email. Sometimes ideas/systems don't go obsolete simply because there's already so much money and infrastructure in place that it's hard to replace.

I suggest, with your new system, that you write "This just took me twenty minutes instead of 30 seconds. Thank you so much for making my life easier and less complicated." on the bottom of each fax that you send to head office. Add a few expletives. Maybe they'll get the point.

 
At 7:37 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

The problem with this 'paperless' world is that the work force is divided into two types of people- 'digital natives' (younger people) and 'digital immigrants' (our parents). For example, today I received a fax (which our IT manager has amazingly switched to an electronic system where the fax receives, but doesn't print-sends it to the copier, which has a function to send it to our e-mail, voila! no paper) from a contractor to a manager...

"Ed, I have sent you an e-mail." His fax was written on a printed copy of the e-mail that he had sent!! This is funny (and ridiculous (or senseless)) on so many levels!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home