Thursday, March 26, 2009

Programming note

Yesterday on TV I saw a very serious commercial. The tag line of the ad was "Not every suicide note..." and I didn't catch the rest of the line (I was at work, so it's not like I could just stand there and watch). I did catch that it was for a organisation that is trying to raise awareness about and to stop eating disorders (so the ad was saying that people, especially teenaged women, are killing themselves with the disease, as opposed to other 'more conventional' forms of suicide). It was a bit creepy and slightly disturbing, but in the way that makes a person think about what they've seen and remember.
The very next commercial started with a close up of a woman trying to get her jeans on, but not being able to do up the button because she was too 'fat'. Her friend then tells her about Special K and how it will help her get skinny enough to wear the jeans.
So basically, the TV told people that eating disorders are bad, but being fat is bad too, and the woman in the second commercial was by no means fat. She was no stick, but she didn't even look like she was overweight. I couldn't believe I saw that.

On a more cooler note, check this out. Picture 8 is the coolest.

And finally, it's a bit late, but here's the next installment of Thunderfunk the Superchicken.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 a.m., Blogger something witty said...

and we wonder where girls body image problems come from

 
At 11:54 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

we women don't wonder, but we sure didn't understand as young girls. Yet, even as adults we still fall for it.

I saw a 8 year old girl walking with her brother yesterday and she said "I NEED to be skinny, buuuut, chubby is healthy, right?" I just wanted to hug that little girl.

my verification word? trimmics. how ironic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home