Monday, April 20, 2009

I've never had a turkey

I just found out that five-pin bowling is a Canadian game. I knew it wasn't popular in the USA, but I assumed it was basically invented around the same time in the same place. Turns out, some dude in Ontario in the early 1900s developed it, and it's not played in the US much. I was surprised.
Duckpin bowling is basically a combination of five and ten pin bowling - three tries to knock down ten pins that are much smaller than regular ten pin bowling pins, and even smaller than five-pin bowling pins (which are smaller than ten-pin pins). It sounds kinda lame.
Candlepin bowling is much like ten pin, but the pins are very odd looking. I like the look of them, but I'm not sure what I think of the game itself. I'm intrigued by the fact that the pins aren't cleared away when they are knocked down. I'll have to try it someday, which means I'll have to go out east as it is generally only played in the Maritimes and Maine, which is odd. But hey, travel out east, that's cool.
My internet is going real slow right now.
Ten pin bowling is not really my thing, though it would be cool to learn how to make it curve. I do enjoy seeing a bowler throw the ball at the gutter and have it end up hitting on the opposite side of the pins. That is impressive.
Kegel is a German variation of bowling. I played it in Germany (as near as I can tell - I don't remember seeing what it was called...my internet is back to normal now...but from the brief description I read, I'm pretty sure it is). It could have been fun...actually, we all had a good time anyway. It could have been more fun if we had understood the rules or how to score or anything like that at all, but it was interesting.
I enjoy bowling. It's a fun game to play and not too difficult to learn, though it does take some skill to master. I'm a five pinner, so if I ever ended up living in the States, I probably wouldn't bowl much. But here in Canada, it's fun to just hang out with people and knock a few pins down.

Also, I'm updated Nettle again. Or I will in the next couple of hours. Either way, check it out.

2 Comments:

At 5:37 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

I'll go bowling with you. As long as we don't invite Jeff. I am tired of losing everything to him!

untiver

 
At 3:24 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

you don't seriously mean you've never had turkey, do you??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home