Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Well what did you expect?

Those of you who know me know that I am, for the most part, pretty laid back. However, that doesn't mean that nothing ever gets to me. It just means that what gets to me is usually pretty minor, cuz the major stuff doesn't really bother me. Which just seems weird, even as I write it.
What I am thinking about specifically, this time, is the expectations people have of me because I am single. I feel like there are certain things that people just assume I do simply because I am not married, or even dating. For instance, I with two other guys from work, and they noticed some women. They both commented on them, even though one of them is married and the other is in a long-term dating relationship. Actually, by now, they're probably common-law. Also, by notice, I mean they simply commented on the fact that the women were attractive, there was no innapropriate talk, and for all I know, they never even gave it a second thought. Anyway, what got me was that they just assumed I had noticed, and commented that I must be constantly noticing all of the beautiful women around. Truth is, I hadn't, and I usually don't. If you know me, then you can probably believe that. I simply don't notice things (which leads me to almost jumping over railings high above the ground, but that's a story for another time). So I often don't notice when there are attractive women around, it just doesn't really register. I'm definitely not always looking for and at women, which seems like something that people would expect me to be doing simply because I'm a man.
Another instance that got to me happened when some people were over at my house. They noticed that the kitchen garbage happened to be full and started razzing me about being a bachelor and remembering those days when they didn't worry about cleaning up and that kind of stuff (they were married) and how different life was as a single person. I just laughed it off at the time, but truth is I was a little annoyed. I have never met a person who's garbage didn't get full from time to time. And it's not like it was overflowing onto the ground. It was just comfortably full, to the point of needing a change in a day or two. It didn't smell or anything. But they were laughing like it was such a 'bachelor' thing to do. It irritated me. I'm not a slob who lives in filth. I'm not a neat freak, but I try to keep things relatively neat. Heck, right now my bed is even made. Actually, that is pretty rare, and I'm not sure why I did that, but it is made.
And there are other things, but basically I'm not the stereotypical single male. There are some ways in which I share traits, but only in some ways. For the most part, I'm the opposite. I'm neat, polite, not wild and crazy party animal. I like to have fun, but it's not the only driving force in my life. I guess I just don't like being regarded as a slightly dumb slob, which is how most single guys are viewed, at least as far as I've been able to tell. Frankly, I find those expectations a little insulting. On the other hand, they are also rather easy to exceed, so I guess they're not all bad.
P.S. Um...just don't look in my bathroom. Sadly, I'm a little too stereotypical there at times. Sigh.

4 Comments:

At 11:14 a.m., Blogger something witty said...

you do know, that Jeff aint helpin your cause at all, right?

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

why not? what's he doing? that jerk!

 
At 5:56 p.m., Blogger Lorraine M said...

people people people

can any of you spell

INTEGRITY ?!?!?

 
At 9:32 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

I sure can't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home