Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Men!

I had a typical man moment today. I don't often have these, but today, I did. What happened is this:
Jeff and I are currently working on an acreage about 20km outside of Calgary, helping to renovate the basement. Today we had some wire things delivered that are to help with pouring concrete on the floor (at the moment it is just gravel covering dirt, but that will soon change). The person delivering them happened to be female. I figured she would be an older woman (though I had no reason to think that at all), but when I went outside to help offload them I was surprised to see that she was an attractive young woman. I went and was getting them off the back of the flatbed truck and some became stuck so I hopped up to get them unstuck. When I jumped up I destroyed my knee on the side of the truck. Rather than reacting I merely grimaced slightly and finished the task at hand. I then went inside and tried not to cry. My knee still hurts somewhat, and it turned purple where I hit it almost immediately.
Why this is a typical male moment is because the whole reason I didn't react at first and then went inside was because I didn't want to show any weakness in front of the cute girl.

It was really a silly thing to do. It's not like I had any reason to try and impress this woman. I would be shocked if I ever saw her again, and I wouldn't be hitting on her or anything if I did, so why should she care if I'm tough. And yet I refused to let it show.
I'm not usually like that, but every once in a while I catch myself trying to be macho. Men are so dumb.

7 Comments:

At 9:31 p.m., Blogger Kristine said...

I agree, but one of your redeeming factors in this situation was that you realized and admit that trying to be like that was ridiculous.

 
At 9:58 p.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

well, eventually. but not at the time. I was very adament at the time that I not show any pain. trust me, men are dumb that way. and yet it seems to work...

 
At 11:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

She works for Anglia... you could work at Anglia and see her, and Andrea and Andrew... it all could be yours!

 
At 6:19 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

Yeah, even after we admit it's ridiculous we'll still do the same thing the next time.
Then the redeeming factor at the time would have been that you finished what you started.

 
At 6:22 p.m., Blogger jSharky said...

... but there is still the pity card.
Then again, it's better to play that one when you're around someone you know.
I get away with that with the wife.
It actually works, so when I'm sick, I don't have to do much. :)

 
At 10:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's kind of a pride thing.

 
At 5:30 a.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

heehee. You are definitely one of my favourite guys...eventhough you tend to act like a man. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home