Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Circuit Breaker

I was thinking today about how things are getting more and more politically correct and wondering why that is, and it occured to me that at least part of the problem is that people tend to think that others think the same as themselves, or that they should.
We were talking about some of those personality tests yesterday and someone commented in passing that for teenagers (and even older people) doing tests like that makes them aware for the first time that not everyone thinks and reacts in the same way. I have also noticed, especially in teenagers and college students, that when people don't want to do something it is because that thing is putting them out and thus it is something to be avoided.
Though I am not perfect in this area, I do try to think of others whenever I am doing something, or asked to do something, or told to do something. When I am at work I try to do the job properly every time, even though it takes longer and it is a pain sometimes. Plus, doing those extra little tasks because if I do it then someone else doesn't have to.
To tie this back to my opening paragraph, people get upset over using 'improper' words because it offends them. But doesn't it make more sense to realise that people are different and there is no harm intended, so the term itself is not an issue. For example, I heard of a city in California that banned the use of the phrases "master circuit" and "slave circuit" in electrical diagrams because it was offensive. But the term has nothing to do with people of any race or colour, so why is it offensive? When used in this context it is merely something that is under the control of another circuit, repeating the actions of the master circuit. But because people have in the past (and still in the present in some places) are used as slaves, suddenly this term becomes completely taboo. That seems a bit extreme to me, like someone is saying that because they are unable to differentiate between people and machines then everyone else must be unable to do the same and thus the term is offensive. Or how about calling a woman a "Policeman". It's not saying she is a man, it is a title denoting her job. It doesn't make her any less of a woman.
I don't know, I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough. Maybe others are just too sensitive, who can say. I find it frustrating and exhausting, truth be told. And I refuse to use the term "unchurched". I am not going to do it, you can't make me.
Also, I wonder if there isn't some irony in posting this at all. Am I merely saying that everyone should think like I do rather than me accepting that they think differently? Mayhaps, I don't know. I guess I just want people to think about it and decide for themselves where they lie, but to let me think what I want as well, and to be okay with that. Is that possible? Who knows. I sure don't.
Well, that's my musing for the day.

1 Comments:

At 3:09 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

thank you

...

Political correctness has long been something that has irritated me, and so I agree with you. Now though, you're last paragraph:

"Also, I wonder if there isn't some irony in posting this at all. Am I merely saying that everyone should think like I do rather than me accepting that they think differently?"

gives me something to ponder tonight...again, thanks. (and not in the sarcastic way, more in the 'hmm, thought-provoking' way)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home