Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Elucidation in asides (Translation in parentheses)

Today we got to have a little treat for our guys - we took them to a football (soccer) match. It was a friendly (exhibition) between Switzerland and the USA (loudmouths)(I mean, United States of America). It was quite entertaining (someone scored a goal), at least I thought so. The wrong team won (USA), but it was fun anyway. I spent most of my time sitting next to a guy in my dorm who plays football (still soccer) and it was fun seeing him scold the goalies for making questionable decisions. The score was nil-nil (nuthin'-nuthin') until the 85th minute (like, right at the end of the second half), when the Swiss keeper (goalie) charged the ball and was beat there by an American player (player) and they scored. It was a weak gooooooooooooooooooooooooool (goal), but it still counts (dang!). So now I can say that I have been to an authentic European football (soc...you know) match. I wish I had pictures, but I, sadly, do not. Maybe I will get some from Josh (the dude I was sitting with), he took a few.
Oh, funny story - one of our guys (Hugo) has lived in South Africa for most of his life and he decided to bring a South African flag and a Brasilian flag. Well, it turns out that doing so is very heavily frowned upon (a major no-no!) and so a steward (usher type dude) came up to him and started speakin in German. Hugo nodded and was very polite until the guy stopped talking and then he said "uh...". Turns out Hugo doesn't speak German. So the guy had to repeat everything in English and then he took the flags.
Interesting story - after the match the American players walked to the end of the pitch (the playing field)(I know, kind of an odd name, but that's what it is) and were applauding the fans who were cheering for them, which was basically our section because most of our students are American. I thought it was quite classy of them, and our guys loved it!
And I'm out.

1 Comments:

At 4:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

We found Jeff. He moved back to Calgary.

Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home