Saturday, January 09, 2010

Mmm...chocolate.

I am sitting here, late at night, eating way too many Toffifees and drinking half-flat grapefruit soda straight from the bottle and it occurs to me - most of the time when I need to take an elevator, I have to wait for at least a few seconds, if not longer. So how is it that the members of the USS Enterprise (NCC 1701-D) can just step up to the turbolift doors and walk right in. What if someone left the bridge and a few minutes later someone else tried to leave the bridge. Why would the turbolift car be right there again? Does it detect movement and move into position almost instantly, faster than anyone could survive if they were inside? Shouldn't they have to wait at least sometimes? I can maybe understand the bridge always having a car at the ready, but it seems to be the same for every deck.
I guess I'm only asking out of jealousy and impatience. I don't like waiting for elevators.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 a.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

etorpor

 
At 12:41 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

i have cars at the ready all the time

 
At 10:26 a.m., Blogger Monty P said...

They have multiple elevators in the same shaft, with space built in at each floor for them to move out of the way for another one if necessary. Since the bridge is obviously so important, and a large portion of the "really important" people are there, a new elevator automatically moves there as soon as one has left.

Oh, and each of the "important" crew members (because, really, there are only about 7 or so) has an elevator follow them wherever they go. They have GPS in their communicators that lets the computer know when they are getting close to an elevator shaft, and one automatically moves there. Everyone else has to wait, but we never see that because the story rarely focuses on them.

There, mystery solved.

Are you serious? My verification word is:

sessess

 
At 7:56 a.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

I think Monty P's solution makes the most sense. Thanks!
I still hate waiting for elevators.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home