Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My favouritest ever!

What you see here is an example of one of the funniest comic strips that I have ever read (and I have read a great many comic strips). The name of this comic is Sheldon, and it follows the adventures of Sheldon, a ten year old boy who over one summer decided to create a software that makes the internet run better, thus making billions and starting up his own software company, Sheldonsoft, that rivals Microsoft, often hostilely.
Using his technological prowess and his boyish imagination, he decided to download an encyclopaedia into a ducks brain. The result is that the duck can now speak and is, basically, like a little child, exploring the world from the perspective of a duck. A talking duck.
Apparently, in all of that programming their was some sarcasm snuck in, because Arthur (the duck's name is Arthur) is one snarky little water fowl. Constantly making wisecracks about those around, and the state of the world run by humans. He used to posses a fully functional nerd radar, but it was overwhelmed during a visit to a computer programming conference.
Sheldon lives with his Grandfather (no word on his parents yet, I'll keep you posted), a man of a different generation, and in fact a different world. His grasp on technology is tenuous. He suspects that the internet is run through magic, and he can't fathom why anyone would make software that freezes up and loses all software. Still, he tries to raise his grandson the best he can, even though he finds it hard to answer questions about corporate takeovers. He and Arthur have a special relationship based mostly on sarcasm and amusing digs at one another. I'm sure that deep down inside they really love each. Gramps also has an unhealthy addiction to Girl Scout Cookies, and is reportedly the only person in the country to be banned from buying any more boxes. His various lose weight attempts often end in disaster ("By pouring a beaker of hydrochloric acid on the steak like so...VOILA! LIQUID STEAK!"), but he continues to try.
Sheldon also has a friend named Dante. Dante is a normal ten year old boy who has aspirations of being an artist. Unfortunately, most of his drawings are less artsy and more...Godzilla filled (Dante: "My still life drawing sort of got away from me" Arthur: "No no...I think Godzilla holding a taco was a natural choice"). Even though his best friend is a multi-billionaire, he doesn't let that affect their relationship. They still run around playing superheroes and swimming in the local swimming hole. Though, when it comes to ice cream, Dante is shameless in his attempts at obtaining free product.
Seriously folks, I love this comic strip. I'd say it makes me laugh out loud at least three times a week, and no matter what mood I'm in, I can't help but chuckle every time I read any day's offering. And I love the art. It's simple, not overdone, but it has a very bold style that I enjoy. I feel like many comic strips don't focus on the art enough. Some are funny regardless (Dilbert, for example), but I like to see well done art along with funny gags. Sheldon has it all.
Another bonus is the author of this strip, Dave Kellet. I have had a few emailed correspondences with him, and he always responds quickly and is very happy to talk to his fans. In fact, when I ordered the collection of his first year's strips, I ordered another book along with it (one that gave the history of Sheldon, showed where Dave got his ideas, etc. Kind of like a bonus section on a DVD). Sadly, the second book did not arrive with the first. When I wrote to his websites store, he answered back personally later that day (two hours later at the most) and not only apologised for the error, but he sent the replacement book by priority mail the next day and he also included a personal drawing as well. Now, I haven't received these items yet, but they are coming from California, and it has only been two days since then. But that, I think, is just awesome.
So all of that to say, I reccommend that you all check it out. This is a strip I would love to see in newspapers some day, but for now it can only be found online at: www.comics.com. Read it every day and brighten your life. It really works, trust me.

1 Comments:

At 7:59 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

bin been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been been bin!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home