Thursday, April 06, 2006

Maybe they'll give me one of their knives...

I'm a travellin' man. At least, I will be this summer for a couple weeks. I saw a...I started typing this sentence, got that far before I was momentarily distracted, and now I have no idea what I was saying. So I will just carry on like nothing happened.
For the first time in my life, I'm going on a missions trip, specifically to Switzerland. While there, I will be leading some young Swiss boys as a camp counsellor. To those of you who are now scratching your heads because you know that I'm not a big fan of camps in general I say, sigh. I didn't know it was a camp when I signed up. I figured we'd be doing a VBS, or a construction thing or something like that. And then I find out it was a camp, and I seriously almost pulled out. But frankly, this was an opportunity I didn't want to pass up. Going to another country, across the sea, is something I've always wanted to do. And before you accuse me of having improper motives for doing this, let me assure you that I am equally excited to be showing these people Jesus. I'm not a huge camp person, it's true, but I do enjoy kids (they'll be between 8 and 16, I think. Definitely in there somewhere). Doing a camp every once in a while isn't something that I'm completely against. I just don't want to do it all summer every summer. So I don't.
Really, I'm both excited and nervous. I'm sure as it draws closer, I'll really start to doubt that I have anything to say to these kids, but at the same time, I'm excited to see how God is going to work across international and language borders. The camp is for French speaking Swiss children (apparently there are alot of them)(I actually thought Switzerland was mostly German speaking, but really I don't know much about the country). We will be teaching them English, as well as playing games, and having messages in the evening and stuff, much like a regular camp.
Of course, as with any missions trip, there is a cost involved, one that I won't be able to cover on my own. At least not completely. So we come to the part where I ask for donations. If you want a tax receipt for a donation, let me know and I'll tell you where to send it (I don't have the info in front of me and I don't want to find it right now). If you don't, then just send it to me personally.
Also key - prayer. This is a step out of my comfort zone, so if I try to do this without prayer, then I'm toast. So pray for me, and if you think of it, remind me to pray as well, because that is something that I'm not always the best at doing.
So there you go, news from me to you.

5 Comments:

At 4:37 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

you're going to my country!!! I'm so envious! I love missions and I love Switzerland (probably b/c i'm a citizen...lol), WOW! I need to write you an e-mail, SO excited for you! You are definitely in my prayers, way to go, stepping out of your comfort zone. Go Darrell!! :)

 
At 4:10 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

so what happenes if you find a hot swiss chick who speekes only swis and wants you to marry her and start a camp that runs 365 days a year? ever thought of that punk? well have ya?

 
At 4:30 p.m., Blogger Lorraine M said...

But can you yodle???

I'm the old lady who....

 
At 4:30 p.m., Blogger Lorraine M said...

i will try to help $$

 
At 10:07 p.m., Blogger Monty P said...

How much are you looking at needing? And more importantly, what are the exact dates? If they're in there, I missed them, and I don't feel like interrupting my writing to actually check. Taking laziness to new levels - that's me.
Hope it goes well. And seriously, I regularly question whether I have anything to tell people, before I realize that I do. It's all in the Bible. I don't even have to be original - just tell them what it says. Sometimes I feel like I'm ripping people off! I'm paid to tell them what they could just read for themselves if they wanted. Oh well. Hope it goes well, and we'll be praying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home