Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My seemingly regular Tuesday update

I think everyone should be dog people. I’m not saying that everyone should like dogs more than cats, but that everyone should be more like dogs than they are like cats. And here is why.
When a dog knows you, it is loyal to a fault. It shows unashamed love to you. It will come in leaps and bounds when it is called. It will mourn when it is left at home alone and will rejoice when you return. It relies entirely on you and does not doubt that its needs will be met. And this is my favourite part: If you rebuke a dog, it will put its tail between its legs and slink away, but always with an eye for returning the instant you speak its name. Dogs show perfect love, even to a fault. They will return even when they shouldn’t.
Cats, on the other hand, just don’t care. They won’t come when you call, but oddly enough they will come when they know you are going to give them something. They will spend time with you when it is fun, sometimes, but only when they feel like it. They are lazy and snobbish. As far as I can tell, they figure that they are in charge and you are its indentured servant. You know, that might be fallout from the times of the Egyptians when they were worshipped as gods. The cats never forgot.
Most of you probably know where I’m going with this, but for those of you who don’t, here’s the point I’m making: We have a perfect master who will never let us down, who will never abuse us, who will only rebuke us when we deserve it, and will always love us and have time to spend with us all the time. He never leaves us, so we don’t ever have to mourn. Our needs will always be met. So why do we act like cats around Him, ignoring his calling, only coming when we think we are going to get something that we want? We all act like we are the masters and He is our servant. He did say that He came to serve, but that does not mean we are better than Him. That means He has shown us how we should be acting.
I would love to say that I run to Him with unashamed joy every time He calls. I would love to trust that my needs will be met, no matter what else is going on. I would love to know how to love the completely. I would love to always be willing to learn from a rebuke and be willing to come back without being bitter or storing up the pain in my heart. Woof.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

"Who let the dogs out??"

That's really cool. Seriously. I'm going to steal your analogy for my own life...minus the barking part.

 
At 11:54 a.m., Blogger something witty said...

my name is Darrell! i dont want to be a pastor cuz it is too hard! i want to just sit here and think up profound crap that i wont say from a stage cuz being a paster is to hard. My name is Darrell and being a paster is to hard.

 
At 5:42 p.m., Blogger Candace said...

I've always enjoyed reading your thoughts. You really hit the nail on the head with that one. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home