Thursday, January 28, 2010

Almost Seems Pointless

I find that I don't trust the masses, especially on the internet. Whenever I see a poll conducted by a radio or TV station, I basically immediately discard the results because I don't trust that the people voting have knowledge about what they are voting on.
And the internet is worse. It seems that most people find it too easy to say whatever they feel like without regard to the feelings of others or without any consideration to other points of view. I realise that is a gross generalisation, but I am not the first person to notice that most message boards quickly devolve into mindless insults, flame wars, and virtual abuse (unless they are heavily monitored).
I suppose it could be that it is mostly these sorts of people who post and that the less angry people don't bother. I know I don't usually comment on things. I don't see much point. If I don't have any knowledge on a subject, what could I add to the conversation besides a question or two, and how could I trust the response? I don't know who is answering. They could say they are an expert when they are really not. Without that personal relationship, or verifiable credentials, I find it hard to trust the value of their information and contribution.
But that's just me.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

You can trust me...

Really....

Trust me.

redboofo

 
At 12:21 a.m., Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

I know you...so I know that I can't : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home