Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So Long, Old Pal

Everyone, say goodbye to Thor.
And say hello to ...?... um, my new car. Perhaps Susan, perhaps Suzy, but most likely a different name. I'm not sure yet.
She is a 2001 Hyundai Accent GSI. She is a little four speed that won't win any power contests, but will likely cut my fuel bill in half.
I got her for a very reasonable price from the same used car dealer that sold me Vanessa, my 1989 Crown Victoria LTD, possibly my favourite car I've ever owned (though the Comet would have to come close). My new car isn't nearly as big, but she's been all right for me so far.
As you may be able to tell, she is a standard, and though I didn't go looking for a standard specifically, I'm glad I found one that was in my price range because I quite enjoy the standard, though my left leg is a little tired. It's not used to being in use quite that much.
Oddly enough, this is almost the exact same car that Beth's family owns, except mine has a sunroof, a spoiler on the back, and working windshield wipers. Also, I have been enjoying having turn signals and being able to unlock my driver's side door with my key, and being able to open the driver's side door with the inside handle (as opposed to rolling down the window and opening it with the outside handle). Plus, it is much quieter when I drive it.
Thor was in rough shape and getting rougher. The hood was still a little crumpled from when I had my fender bender last year, and the one light was pushed in slightly (it still worked, but I can't guarantee it pointed anywhere useful). As mentioned, the turn signal, the driver's side lock and the the driver's side inside door handle were all non-functioning. The odometer had read the same mileage since I purchased him, and the travel odometer would sometimes run backwards on the highway (which, admittedly, was kinda neat). And when I tried to remove the front driver's side tire (to look at the brakes)(which I'll explain in a second) I had to remove the last lugnut with an impact drill.
The car had started making a grinding sound when I drove it. I thought it might be the brakes, so I checked them out, but they looked fine. It was an awful sound and I didn't know what it was, but I did know it was getting worse and that it would be expensive to fix it. And then reverse started acting very sticky and hesitant, like it didn't want to shift, maybe. I would put it into reverse and take my foot off the gas and it wouldn't want to roll back on its own. I had to touch the gas to get it going. That made me think that it might be the transmission, a problem that is harder and more expensive than brakes, which was bad enough.
The last time I drove it I was actually concerned that it wouldn't make it. I parked it and bought a car the next morning (I had looked at it already and got the information I needed to make a good choice). So Thor will soon be out of my life completely, though the memories will remain. I guess I will just have to enjoy ...?...
I need to find a good name for her.

P.S. Peter, my new car has all four hubcaps, because I knew you were wondering.

2 Comments:

At 8:28 a.m., Blogger Monty P said...

And here I was ready to sell you my old Grand Prix as a parts car. Back to the drawing board. I would have overcharged you anyway! :)

Welcome to the family, Suzy (name pending).

 
At 8:02 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

you gonna trash the chebby? also you and Scott have matching cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home