Monday, May 09, 2005

He's so tall he has to kneel down to put his hands in his pockets

So here's my issue today. For everyone who says that it is better to be tall, I say to thee "Nyah" (imagine my tongue sticking out and my eyes all squinty. There you go, like that). It is nice being tall, don't get me wrong. But it is not without its drawbacks, that's for sure. It is nice being able to reach the hard to reach items when you need them, but it is less nice to be able to reach them when someone else needs them. There has been many a time when I have been in a completely different room, peacefully minding my own business, when suddenly I hear my name called out: "Darrell!" Someone's in distress! I gallantly rush their aid (especially since it is usually a woman calling), only to be asked if I could "get that bowl off of the top shelf, please?"
When this happens, I am left with one of two choices. First, I can refuse, thus making me into a selfish jerk-face. Or second, I can help, which is the proper thing to do. But, the next time that person needs help and I'm around, suddenly I'm on call, always expected to help out like I did the first time. I have set a precedent that I cannot go back on. Essentially, I have become the slave to the short person (whom we tall people like to call "Shorty McShortersons).
And it's not just at home that this happens. I was at work today and was told to clean the ceiling in the kitchen because someone (not me) had managed to spill ketchup up there. I'm not sure how, though I suspect that I would have liked to have seen it. The reason I was picked for this particular mind numbing duty was thus: "I was going to pick the person who had the least to do to clean it, but you were nominated because you were tall." That is the complete reason I had to clean the ketchup off of the ceiling, even though there were five other people around doing less than I was (to be fair, it was so completely dead at work that I wanted to gouge out one of my eyes just so I had something to play marbles with)(seeing as how I've lost my marbles and all)(heh...sigh).
There you have it. The next time you look around and sigh about your small stature, realise this - you essentially have the entire tall world in the palm of your little hand. It's a great way to find out who the nice ones are and who the jerks are. Just please - don't abuse this power. Use it for good, or at least on moderate evil.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

try being tall and big enough to lift almost anything ..........mwa har har har.........

 
At 11:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey babe, miss ya, and yes, we tall people are cursed, may all short people know the blessing they were born with and may we grow in the grace to treat the "shorty Mcshorties" lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home