Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Life ain't fair, buttercup

I remember learning in school about incomplete sentences. For example: The dog. That is an incomplete sentence because it needs a verb. The dog ran. There you go, complete sentence. I bring this up because I have noticed something living here in the dorm - many of these guys speak in incomplete sentences. Actually, it is more that they use one incomplete sentence, but they use it often. And the more I hear it, the more I think everyone seems to use this particular incomplete sentence. And that sentence (I'm wondering how many times I can fit the word 'sentence' into this BLOG) is this: It's not fair. Now while that is technically a proper sentence, I say it is incomplete because there are more words that are part of it that no one actually says. The fully complete sentence is: It's not fair...to me.
I find it interesting that in the vast majority of cases where someone says 'it's not fair', they are really saying that whatever is happening goes against what they want for themselves. And don't let my use of the third person pronoun 'they' fool you. I find myself saying it as well, and when I do, it is mostly because I haven't had things go my way.
So what is the solution? Easy - we need to start worrying more about other people and less about our own wishes. And, we need to worry less about what is 'fair' and instead we need to 'act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly'. If we do that, then it might not always be fair, but I suppose if we can do all that then perhaps we will be less concerned with fair and more concerned with God's love.

2 Comments:

At 5:26 p.m., Blogger Candace said...

Amen.

 
At 1:50 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

and then there was the time................ rember that?
awsome. fundimental diggage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home