Sunday, December 09, 2007

I'm back, in a cyberspace way. I still live in Germany

Hi Everyone,
Sorry about not updating for a while. We are nearing the end of semester and things have been getting busy, plus when I do have time I am finding myself quite tired and I just don't think of updating.
Saturday was an interesting day for our dorm. Byron, one of our RAs, proposed to his girlfriend and she, of course, said yes, so that was an exciting bit of news. Later that day we find out that our dorm parent's oldest daughter also got engaged that day. So there were to engagements on the same day. When it was announced, everyone gave a big cheer.
And then the guys immediately began telling me that I 'needed to get on that' and started giving me suggestions on who would be good to go for. Silly guys.
There was basketball at the school as well. We have varsity boys and girls, and junior varsity boys and girls. Sadly, they played two games each, and all of our teams lost every game they played. So that would put the school at 0-8 for the weekend. On Friday night the Varsity Girls played a close game and got to overtime, but ended up losing by four points. Very exciting. The rest of the games were not so close, but I was glad to watch my guys playing hard and having some fun. Even though they lost they looked like they had a good time.
We also had a Christmas concert at the school. The choir sang some songs and there is a group called "A String Thing", because it is entirely string instruments (except for the piano, though I have heard it argued that you 'could' call it a string instrument because it does have strings). It was a nice variety of songs. Often these types of concerts are a bit dry and repetitive, mostly composed of slow songs, but they mixed it up well and everyone looked happy. Plus, it wasn't too long. Maybe I'm just not able to focus for too long, but long programs make me horses live near us and they are pretty neat.
The house across the street has a cat that recently had kittens and two of them have made a habit of coming around our dorm and hanging out. Lately I've only seen one of them, a black and white one (black on his back and sides, white on the legs and belly), and we call her Ace. Very cute, but still has her claws, so we try not to startle her.
Only one more week to go and then the students all leave and we have a few weeks before they return. It will be nice, I am ready to relax for a while. A group of us are going to Adelboden, a town in Switzerland in the alps. Janz Team (the mission I am with) has a chalet there and it is apparently very pretty. It sounds like the skiing conditions (I love the word 'skiing', the two i's that are together look neat) are pretty good, but I probably won't go this time. I just can't afford to right now. But I don't mind, I have done some travelling, and I am just happy to be here. Germany (and Switzerland, and what little I have seen of France) is a beautiful country, and it is just interesting at how old in a historical and interesting as opposed to decrepit and broken, everything is. One of our dorms was built in the mid 1700s. It is older than the United States, and way older than Canada!
Well, that is all for now. Remember to email me, or comment here, I would love to hear from you!
Darrell

3 Comments:

At 7:40 p.m., Blogger Papa Scott said...

"Maybe I'm just not able to focus for too long, but long programs make me horses live near us and they are pretty neat."

Boy did I have to mull this one over for way onger than I should have before I got it.

On the plus side 2=1

PS...Can you spot the continuity problem with the example on my blog?

 
At 7:44 p.m., Blogger something witty said...

lets see, Scott is good at math and I am good ar figuring out darrels blogs. MINE IS WAY MORE PROFITABLE!!



no one believes that

 
At 8:05 p.m., Blogger Niki Devereaux said...

So your boys are going to find you a European to marry? I hear they're pretty cool... haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home